Sunday, September 9, 2007

My Response: The Radicalism of the American Revolution

In this book, Monarchy is basically no freedom. In a Monarchy society, everyone is subjects of the king. That means whatever the king says or rules happens without your say or belief. The meaning of being involved in the Monarchy society is being a dependent being, weak and inferior, having no independence and easily cowed.
I strongly believe that I could not live during the Monarchy period of time. Having no say in your society isn't right to me. I believed that if people had say in their society things could be better off. If I lived in a society where people were able to say what they believed in would make me feel like I'm actually part of a society where the king (higher rank) cared about its people.
One topic that was so significant was the meaning of the word "gentlemen." Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Gray said being a gentlemen means that you know left from right, good from bad and black from white. They also stated that being a gentlemen is on the same level as a lawyer or doctor. That's because their job consist of labor or hardworking. They also stated that a gentlemen is born to eat, sleep, die and to be forgotten.
Being a gentlemen is someone who has class and respected by others. Being a gentlemen shows people that you have respect for yourself and others. I wonder how the word gentlemen became what it is today. In this book it just make the word sound low class and worthless.
Some topics that were shocking was the "Warning Out" laws. Both the New England towns with their ancient believed that everyone is expected to be in a certain category. Under these laws, towns were could legally eject "strangers" and have them convey to different places until they're in their right home.
When I came across this passage, I could not believe it. How could someone export someone else just because they did not live in that colony? Another part of the book that confused me were people saying where someone else belonged. Everyone were new settlements so how would the high rank say that someone belonged somewhere else? I guess money and fame is power until the end of time.

1 comment:

Mr. Brush said...

B,

I'm assuming that you are only summarizing the first two chapters of the book or at least the first section-Monarchy. Tell me if you are summarizing the whole book because your grade would be different.

If it is the former-good job. It's the best one so far. Your analysis and sometimes questioning the very literature you are reading is a good habit to do, but not necessarily in a summary of a few chapters. Your questioning, however, of the word gentlemen was especially impressive. It IS interesting how that word came to be and what it means today. Next time when you summarize, leave out first person accounts such as "I", where YOU become the subject and not the subject of the book. You see what I mean? Good job otherwise.

"B"

MB